Saturday 18 May 2019

Knowledge and love

Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth. And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know. But if any man love God, the same is known of him.
As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one. – 1 Corinthians 8.1-4

Knowledge is a good thing. God tells us to seek after it. We surely need knowledge of God His word to do His work. Seek knowledge, we are told. Seek wisdom. These are noble goals.

But there can be a problem. Sometimes knowledge can become a source of pride. Knowledge can puff us up and make us arrogant and give us a ‘better than thou’ attitude. When that happens knowledge can cause a problem. More on this in the next couple of days.

The counter here to love puffing up is that love builds up. Knowledge puffs up and love builds up others. This knowledge based pride can say something like ‘I know that I am free from obligations to the law. Because I am free I am going to act on my liberty no matter that anyone says.

It is going to be explained more in the next couple of verses, but love says that I am going to think about how my actions affect others.

Love ought to be our motivator is all that we do. We ought to love others more than self and in some cases that is going to decide how I am going to act. If I think that knowledge can override love I am sorely mistaken. May my love for others be seen in how I use my liberty.

No comments: