Tuesday 4 June 2019

Follow me

Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ. – 1 Corinthians 11.1

When you first read this it can sound just the slightest bit proud. How can anyone really say to other Christians ‘follow me?’

Actually all that it takes to ‘get it’ is to read the rest of the verse. Paul says follow me…as I follow Christ.

There are a couple of principles here. I think the first is for those of us who have been saved a while and have a bit a maturity. One of our goals should be to follow Christ to the extent that we could say to someone else ‘follow me as I follow Christ.’

That alone is worth stopping and looking at. It kind of catches me off guard and slaps in in that face. If I ask myself if I live the kind of life that would allow me to say ‘follow me as I follow Christ’ it really gives me cause to stop and reflect. Can I say, honestly, not with pride or arrogance or superiority, if you want to see an example you can watch me as I follow Christ? Does my life reflect Christ in such a way that others could benefit and grow in Christ?

What a goal that would be. If I made decisions and asked myself ‘what if a young Christian, or a non-Christian who knows my testimony were to see me do this? What impact would it have on my testimony? How will this decision reflect Chrost to those around me.

We all ought to be able to say ‘follow me as I follow Christ.’ The only question is if we can honestly say that.

No comments: