Monday 3 June 2019

Do all to the glory of God

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God: Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved. – 1 Corinthians 10.31-33


Here is a tie in and a completer of the thought about our liberty and Christ and doing what is helpful. On one hand we ought to be sure that we always think of others when we make decisions for ourselves. That’s important, but it’s not the most important. If we get the second part right caring for others will fall into place.

Whatever you do, eating drinking, or whatever, do all to the glory of God.

I wonder how many of us could claim that we do that, or even strive to do it? When I make a long term decision, or a short term decision, or even a spontaneous decision what is my first concern? Can you or I honestly say that my first concern is whether or not my decision will be done to glorify God.

In my own life I know that I can often think first of me and how my decision is going to affect me. If I were truly doing what Paul says here my first question would whether or not I could bring glory to God through this action.

Just a few questions to consider:

Do I do my job in a way that glorifies God?
Do I drive my car in a way that glorifies God?
Do I talk to others in a way that glorifies God?
Do I treat those I disagree with in a way that glorifies God?
Do I treat my spouse in a way that glorifies God?
Do I handle bad news in a way that glorifies God?

Of course we could go on and on and on.

If we eat or drink or WHATEVER we do – do we do it to glorify God?

No comments: