Sunday 29 April 2018

The flesh is weak


Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak."  - Matthew 26.41

This is interesting in that it follows right after Jesus’ dilemma with the cross and His human will and God’s divine will. His talks about the reality He has just dealt with about His feelings and God’s will.

So it’s appropriate that he talks about the spirit and the flesh.

He left the disciples keep an eye out for the coming opposition and to pray for Him. When He came back they were sleeping. Who can blame them? It was late at night. And sitting in a dark garden ‘watching and praying’ is not exactly the most exciting or intriguing task. They wanted to do it, but they were just too tired. Their spirits were willing, but their flesh was just too weak.

I think we all can identify. I know I can. There are things that I really want to do for the Lord. I want to trust. I want to believe. I want to do right. I want to be faithful. I want to share my faith.

But the difficulty comes in the doing. Hearing the word is easy – the doing is tougher. My flesh is weak. I don’t always want to do the hard stuff.

I think that’s why we have to be told to ‘walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.’ Our own spirits are weak, but as believers are indwelt by the Holy Spirit of God in whom all things are possible. When we rely on Him we can do those things that we cannot do in our own flesh.

My spirit is willing. My flesh is weak, but His Holy Spirit is all powerful

No comments: