Tuesday 27 March 2018

Why do you doubt?


And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt? And when they were come into the ship, the wind ceased. Then they that were in the ship came and worshipped him, saying, Of a truth thou art the Son of God. – Matthew 14.31-33

I’ve been seeing this verse coming up for a few days now. I mentioned it in a Facebook Live video I did last week. I schedule my devotions about week in advance so knew it was coming.

And I knew that when I got here the Holy Spirit was going to have a field day convicted me of a struggle that I have with doubt.

Jesus had just rescued Peter when He looked to Peter and said ‘O you of little faith, why did you doubt.’ I think Peter must have had a feeling in his gut that he would have again when Jesus looked at him after his threefold denial before the crucifixion.

‘Why did you doubt?’

When I hear those words I get that kind of sick feeling in my stomach. When I read ‘why did you doubt?’ the question strikes at my own heart. Despite all that God has done for me over the last 40+ years I still have to deal with doubts and fear in my life. There is one issue in particular that can wake me up with panic. The panic comes because at the core of the issue is my doubt that God will or God can do what He says He will do.

How can I continue to doubt? How can I fear? God hasn’t changed. I trust Him and I do not doubt my eternity so I can I doubt what He will do in this life?

Roger, why do you doubt? I can almost hear the words. I do believe Lord, help my unbelief.

No comments: