Wednesday 7 February 2018

Our Father


After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.  – Matthew 6.9

This passage starts Matthew’s rendering of what we commonly call the ‘Our Father’ or the ‘Lord’s Prayer.’ It seems to be a basic teaching on how we should pray because the disciples had just asked Jesus ‘teach us to pray.’

It is too easy to read quickly over the first couple of words ‘Our Father’ but they must be some of the most powerful words of scripture. Talking to God Himself, the I AM, the God of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and Joseph, and Jesus says to start the prayer with ‘Our Father.’

It is a mind boggling concept that the One who said ‘Let there be light’ is my Father. It is even more astounding that when I put my trust in Christ I was adopted into His family with all the rights and privileges of being His child.

Me. Adopted. Into God’s family. As His son. How is that even possible?

I have to say that I don’t understand how I can literally and truly be adopted into God’s family and how I can call Him my Father, my Abba, my Dad.’ My Heavenly Father is not bound by time or space or any kind of lack of power. God is my Dad and He can take care of me. My Dad loves me and knows that is best for me.

What a way to start the day, looking up to and trusting my Dad.

No comments: