Friday 9 February 2018

Our daily bread


Give us this day our daily bread.  – Matthew 6.11

To be honest this is one of things I don’t like to pray. I really want to know that I have more than my everyday needs met. I want to know that I am covered tomorrow and next week and this summer and next year and ten years from now. I want to know it’s all comfortable and safe and that there is nothing to worry about.

Jesus tells us here through that we need to be content to pray for our day by day needs. That seems like a mighty hard way to live. Imagine the kind of faith that gets up every day trusting God to meet our needs for that very day.

But if we really and truly trusted God we ought to be able to do that. Our children do that, don’t they? They don’t worry if there are going to be cornflakes in the bowl tomorrow morning.

Oh for the faith to trust God that way. I do believe Lord, but please help my unbelief.

At the end of the day all we need is our daily bread. Anything beyond that is a extra blessing.

No comments: