Wednesday 28 February 2018

Authority


And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at his doctrine: For he taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes. – Matthew 7.28-29

When Jesus was done speaking and sat down we read that the people were ‘blown away’ by His teaching. He was nothing like the scribes who they had heard before. He spoke with full authority.

I love that image. I can’t imagine anyone will ever preach like Jesus, but we can be assured that we can preach with the same authority. The only way we can have that authority though is if we preach only the word of God. It has its own authority. It was God-breathed though the Holy Spirit and it is alive a powerful. When I preach on my own authority or wisdom I am doomed to fail.

But when we stand in the pulpit or sit at the table over a cup of tea or gather in the sitting room or in the break room at work and clearly proclaim the word of God it comes with all the authority that Christ had. I don’t need to make apology for it. I don’t need to feel bad. I am not preaching on Roger’s authority, but in Christ’s full authority.

No comments: