Friday 19 January 2018

Why bother?

Ye have said, It is vain to serve God: and what profit is it that we have kept his ordinance, and that we have walked mournfully before the LORD of hosts? – Malachi 3.14

Why bother serving God? It’s done nothing for me. Why have I deprived myself for Him? I need to live the way I want to live. So why bother?


Apparently this attitude is not modern. It goes way back. In the flesh it can seem almost logical. I try to do right and live for God and love and care for others. I skip the parties and the drunkenness and worldly pursuits to chase God instead and what good does it do. I might as well just eat, drink, and be merry.

It’s one of those many things that happens when we focus on the flesh and not the spirit, on the seen and not the unseen, and on the temporal and not the eternal. If all we looked at is what we can see most of us are going to get discouraged. We could even be tempted just to give up.

That’s why need to always look beyond the obvious. God is working for eternity. We can’t always see it. We need the faith to know that it is not vain to serve Him. It is not profitless to live for Him.


Just keep our eyes in eternity. 

No comments: