Monday 1 January 2018

The Lord is good

The LORD is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble; and he knoweth them that trust in him. – Nahum 1.7

I know some people don’t believe we should have a favourite verse. I guess I can see the point. All of God’s word in equally true and equally inspired.

That’s true – but there are passages that we draw special inspiration from at times and that the Lord seems to use on a regular basis to encourage us.

Nahum 1.7 is that way for me. It has three great reminders all packed together in one short verse.

The Lord is good
The Lord is a stronghold when things get bad
The Lord knows those who put their trust in Him

These three things give us great hope during the ‘day of trouble.’ That ‘day of trouble’ is either here or not too far away. The wonderful news during that day of trouble is very simply that we have a good God and our good God knows us and that we are in that trouble.

There are some things that tempt be to fret or worry because I can’t see a good answer. I get bad news at times and I don’t know how to respond.


But I can know this. No matter what happens God is still good. God is my stronghold. And, as the psalmist says, God has searched me, and He knows. 

No comments: