Sunday 20 November 2016

I will declare

I will declare Your name to My brethren; In the midst of the assembly I will praise You. You who fear the LORD, praise Him! All you descendants of Jacob, glorify Him, And fear Him, all you offspring of Israel! For He has not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; Nor has He hidden His face from Him; But when He cried to Him, He heard. My praise shall be of You in the great assembly; I will pay My vows before those who fear Him. – Psalm 22.22-25

It is interesting to think of ways that God could declare Himself and His works to the world. He could have said ‘let there be light’ and posted a great big lit up sign on the sky every day declaring Who he is and why he is worthy of our praise. He could have laid out the stars so that the heavens were lit up every night with His message. He could have carved His words on the sides of the mountains. All those would have been pretty effective – but eventually we would have grown used to it.

But God chose what to us may seem like the most impractical, improbable, and incredible way of all to declare His word.

What did He do?

He chose us. He chose you and he chose me and he chose all of is weak creatures to proclaim the most wonderful message of all to His creation. We are so flawed and prone to error that it seems impossible. We are so prone to fear and pride that is doesn’t seem like anyone would do it.

But still He leads it up to us, and that is where Psalm 22 comes into play.

I will declare Your name
I will praise Him
Let the whole nation glorify Him

Great principles that don’t change.

When Jesus left earth before going to have He let us know that His plan for proclaiming His word was still up to us when He said ‘go into all the world and preach the gospel.’


If we don’t do the job nobody will. Are we proclaiming His name in our world? Are we sharing His praises? 

No comments: