Monday 14 September 2015

I will redeem you

I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, as God Almighty, but by My name LORD I was not known to them. I have also established My covenant with them, to give them the land of Canaan, the land of their pilgrimage, in which they were strangers. And I have also heard the groaning of the children of Israel whom the Egyptians keep in bondage, and I have remembered My covenant. Therefore say to the children of Israel: 'I am the LORD; I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, I will rescue you from their bondage, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with great judgments. I will take you as My people, and I will be your God. Then you shall know that I am the LORD your God who brings you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians. And I will bring you into the land which I swore to give to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob; and I will give it to you as a heritage: I am the LORD.' " – Exodus 6.3-8

When Moses met the Lord in the burning bush he was not meeting God for the first time. God has encountered man since the very beginning. He encountered Adam and Eve. He had dealt with Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and Joseph. To all of them though he had appeared as ‘God Almighty’ (El Shaddai). That particular name emphasised God in His power and strength. He showed Himself as the One who could be counted on and Who is capable.

But now God is using His name, Lord (Jehovah or Yahweh). God now introduces Himself as the eternal, self-sufficient, holy One.

Not only that, but since God tells Him that as Jehovah He:

Establishes a covenant relationship
Has heard their groaning
Is going to rescue them from their captivity
Is going to keep all He said He will do

But one thing really catches my eye – ‘I will redeem you with an outstretched arm.’


Jehovah is my Redeemer just as He redeemed the Hebrews. As He stretched out His arm to deliver them out of Egypt He would one day stretch out His arms on the cross to redeem me from my sin. 

No comments: