Wednesday 9 September 2015

I AM

And God said unto Moses, I Am that I Am: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I Am hath sent me unto you. And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The Lord God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations. Go, and gather the elders of Israel together, and say unto them, The Lord God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, of Isaac, and of Jacob, appeared unto me, saying, I have surely visited you, and seen that which is done to you in Egypt:- Exodus 3.14-16

I cannot even begin to imagine what it must have been like to meet God like this. He must have been terrified. And then he has to think about what it was going to be like and lead the Hebrew people out of Egypt. He had been gone forty years. This shepherd like was working okay. It was quiet. He was getting older. If it were me I would not have been to open to change at this point. I like my comfort zone.

But Moses said ‘Who am I going to tell the people sent me?’ He knew he could not do it on his own authority.

God says ‘my name is I AM that I AM. Tell them I AM has sent you.’

It is hard to describe the full impact of I AM in just a few lines. He is I AM at creation. He is I AM when He spoke to Moses. He is I AM when He saved me. He is I AM today. He is I AM at the very end. Verb tenses are hard to use when we speak of I AM always being I AM. He was/is/will be I AM because He was/is/always there.

God told Moses here that He had always been around. He was the God of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and Joseph. He told Moses that He had seen their trouble in Egypt and was going to deliver them.

And the amazing thing is that the I AM is our I AM today. He was then and is now and will be all at the same time. He is I AM and is not reliant on anyone. He is I AM and is not reliant on times or circumstances. He is my own personal I AM and no matter what I face today He is already my I AM for today. 

No comments: