Wednesday 23 September 2015

They saw and believed

Thus the LORD saved Israel that day out of the hand of the Egyptians; and Israel saw the Egyptians dead upon the sea shore. And Israel saw that great work which the LORD did upon the Egyptians: and the people feared the LORD, and believed the LORD, and his servant Moses. - Exodus 14.30-31

This was a great day of victory for Israel. They were free. They were on their own. They had escaped the impossible. Their enemy was defeated. God had literally parted the waters of the Red Sea and walked though on dry land.

So Israel saw the great work God did
The people feared the Lord
And finally they believed the Lord

This was just the first of many, many wonders that God would do for Israel. Over and over again for the next forty years God was going to show His power and when He did the people would fear God and believe Him.

I’m not sure, but I think we see the beginning of a problem though. They feared God and believed when they saw Him work.

As we follow Israel through the wilderness though we are going to see a different story though when they don’t see God work.

It is easy to get frustrated with Israel because of their lack of faith whenever they face a new hardship because they don’t trust until they see God work.

But are we any better? What does it take to get us to ‘fear God and believe?’

I know for me too often I have to see before I believe. If I can’t see the answer I have a hard time believing. That’s okay – Jesus said the same to Thomas - ‘because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.’

But the real blessing comes when I don’t have to see it to believe it. True, real, earnest belief and faith doesn’t require sight because that kind of faith in conditional.

Remember what Hebrews says? ‘Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.’

I came across a verse in my Bible reading this morning that really drove this home. Jesus is talking in Luke 12 about trusting God and not worrying no matter what we might see. He says simply ‘And seek not ye what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink, neither be ye of doubtful mind.’


It is too easy for me to doubt if I don’t see – Lord help my unbelief and remove my doubt just because I can’t see.  

No comments: