Sunday 20 September 2015

God's protection

And the angel of God, which went before the camp of Israel, removed and went behind them; and the pillar of the cloud went from before their face, and stood behind them: - Exodus 14.19

Once the people started moving forward God showed his protection clearly. When Moses lifted his rod and the waters of the Red Sea parted made sure they were surrounded my His presence. He held back the waters on the right and left. The angel of the Lord went out before them. And the great pillar of His presence moved behind them to protect them from the enemy.

This reminds of David’s words of comfort about God’s guidance in Psalm 139 – ‘Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways. For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether. Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me.’

When we go forward trusting in God we too can be assured that we are surrounded by His presence and protection. He goes before us and He has our back. Though we are often surprised and caught off guard it will never happen to God. All we have to do is trust, obey, and keep moving forward.

I like how Ron Hamilton put this in a hymn shortly after he lost an eye to cancer. It expresses God’s presence and protection in a personal and meaningful way.

When shadows fall and the night covers all
There are things that my eyes cannot see.
I never fear, for the Saviour is near.
My LORD abides with me!

How can I fear? Jesus is near!
He ever watches over me!
Worries all cease; He gives me peace.
How can I fear with Jesus?

When I’m alone and I face the unknown
And I fear what the future may be,
I can depend on the strength of my Friend!
He walks along with me.

How can I fear? Jesus is near!
He ever watches over me!
Worries all cease; He gives me peace.
How can I fear with Jesus?

Jesus is King! He controls everything!
He is with me each night and each day.
I trust my soul to the Saviour’s control;
He drives all fear away!

How can I fear? Jesus is near!
He ever watches over me!
Worries all cease; He gives me peace.
How can I fear with Jesus?


Lyrics:  Ron Hamilton, 1982

No comments: