Monday 3 August 2015

Just wait

After these things the word of the Lord came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward. And Abram said, Lord God, what wilt thou give me, seeing I go childless, and the steward of my house is this Eliezer of Damascus? And Abram said, Behold, to me thou hast given no seed: and, lo, one born in my house is mine heir. And, behold, the word of the Lord came unto him, saying, This shall not be thine heir; but he that shall come forth out of thine own bowels shall be thine heir. – Genesis 15.1-4

God was going to do a great work through Abram. God was going to build a great nation through him. God’s chosen people were going to come through Abram’s seed. Greatest of all God was going to send Messiah, God’s own Son, through Abram’s seed.

But Abram was getting older and nothing was happening. He thought maybe he had read things wrong and that God was going to give him a family through proxy. Maybe God meant that he was really going to be the father, but he was symbolically to be the father of a great nation. Maybe Eliezer, since he is already my heir, will start this thing off.

But God said ‘no, trust me. This great nation I promised will be literally started by you,’

It is easy enough to get tired of waiting on God and try to figure things out our own way. We can even try to manipulate scripture and make it fit in to a way that we think will work because it makes more sense to us.

God keeps His promises – sometimes we just have to wait.

No comments: