Saturday 1 August 2015

Go and trust

Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee: And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing: And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed. So Abram departed, as the LORD had spoken unto him; and Lot went with him: and Abram was seventy and five years old when he departed out of Haran. And Abram took Sarai his wife, and Lot his brother's son, and all their substance that they had gathered, and the souls that they had gotten in Haran; and they went forth to go into the land of Canaan; and into the land of Canaan they came. Genesis 12.1-5

Abraham’s faith is a great challenge to all believers. We see his faith shown from the very, very start. When we meet him God is giving him an unreal challenge.

God came to Abram and simply said ‘Get yourself together, gather all your stuff and your family and all you have and go.’ If Abram had said ‘where?’ God would have replied, as He did in the instruction, you just go and I will show you where.’

And Abram did. He obeyed God and his faith was accounted to him as righteousness. Abram trusted God and obeyed and acceded to His call and direction.

I can almost sort of understand why. To step out into the total unknown does require great faith. That is what it really means to walk by faith and not by sight. Stepping out into the unknown is a great faith tester. God said do it, and Abram did.

Sometimes God’s calls us to exercise faith in new areas that we have never been down before. Yesterday I was shocked to hear that I require triple bypass surgery. I was a bit stunned. How could this happen to a guy who doesn’t drink, doesn’t smoke, watches what he eats, has lost 2 ½ stone, and walks 250km month?!

I don’t know, and at the moment I have to say I am a little taken aback. It is unknown territory – but God does know what He is doing. Unlike Abram I don’t have a choice, but I still want to walk this road trusting God and obeying Him and believing that He will guide me each step of the way.  May I have Abram like faith as I enter this journey.

No comments: