Wednesday 11 April 2012

Sun Worship




But to you who fear My name The Sun of Righteousness shall arise With healing in His wings; And you shall go out and grow fat like stall-fed calves.  - Malachi 4v2

I love this verse. I love the way it translates into English. I don’t know if it read anything like this in Hebrew, but in English we read about the ‘Sun’ of Righteousness when we might think that we are going to read about the ‘Son’ of Righteousness. In fact, if you hear it without knowing it you might think it is the Son.

So why do we read about the Sun of Righteousness here?

As I sit here the sun is just peeking over the rooftops. (That would have been much more picturesque if I lived where I could say ‘the sun is just peeking over the eastern horizon :-) ). The night’s darkness is over. I am battling some unreasonable discouragement. I don’t even know why, but it was with me through the night. As the sun comes up and shatters the darkness I am reminded of the grace of our Sun of Righteousness Who rises with healing in His wings.

The Sun of Righteousness rises with the light that shatters spiritual darkness. He arises with warmth to break spiritual the darkness. His rays give life and cheer the soul. Our bodies need the sun. All life needs the sun. When we think about all of the benefits of the sun it is easy to see why so many who don’t know Christ choose to worship a sun-god.

All life needs the sun. When it comes to eternity all life also needs the Sun. Psalm 84 tells is that ‘For the LORD God is a sun and shield; The LORD will give grace and glory; No good thing will He withhold From those who walk uprightly.’

When I am cheered by the light of the sun may I turn my thoughts to the Light of the Sun and remember who He is and delight in His benefits.

No comments: