Wednesday 25 April 2012

Blessed are the merciful




Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy. – Matthew 5v7

I used to play a game with the kids and now I play it with the grandkids. You face your ‘opponent’ and grasp hands interlocking fingers. The goal is to put pressure on the others persons hands until they cry out for ‘mercy.’

Now, I have played this game when I was younger with people my size. Then it was a fair contest. Even though I was a little guy I had developed a really strong grip in my work as a sheet metal worker so I could beat most guys I played with.

The loser here always has to plead for mercy from the stronger opponent. Of course, when I play with the kids (for now at least) I always have to show mercy, even if they don’t ask for it.

Mercy is not receiving something that a stronger person has power and authority to mete out. For God and us it shows us how He has every right in the world to destroy us for our sin. We deserve the full wrath of God. But, only because of His mercy, He spares us through His son.

But we too can show mercy, though not near as dramatically. How do we respond when we are wronged? What happens when we are treated unfairly? Do we really have to ‘get back’ at the person? Do we really have to make sure that they ‘don’t get away with it?’

The reality is that God calls us to show mercy. Even when I have been wronged or offended or attacked I don’t have to retaliate in kind. I can choose to show mercy. Mercy means to show compassion and forbearance, especially when we have the power and ability to exact punishment or revenge. Only the stronger person can show mercy.

God blesses those who show mercy by His own mercy. May I strive to show mercy as it has been shown to me.

No comments: