Wednesday 29 February 2012

When my soul fainted




“When my soul fainted within me, I remembered the LORD; and my prayer went up to You, Into Your holy temple. - Jonah 2v7

The Bible talks about fainting a lot – ‘If you faint in the day of adversity your strength is small.’ ‘Seeing we have this ministry we do not faint.’ It is obvious and fainting and faith are not supposed to go together.

But sometimes they do.

Usually though, when we faint it is because we have acted on small faith. We get ourselves in trouble when we think we know best or are so afraid of the world that we forget to live in the fear of the Lord.

Jonah found himself in a real mess. We had run from God, ruined his testimony, and found himself in the cold and dark of the whale’s belly. Now though, for once, he does the right thing. ‘When my soul fainted I remembered the Lord and my prayer went up.’

When we are running from God, when it seems like our testimony is shot, and when we find ourselves down in the pit there is only one thing to do. We can’t just stay there. We then turn our thoughts heavenward and send our prayers up to the God of heaven where God is yet in His holy temple.

Remember the Lord.  

No comments: