Thursday 1 March 2012

Salvation is of the Lord




“Those who regard worthless idols forsake their own mercy. But I will sacrifice to You with the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay what I have vowed. Salvation is of the LORD.” – Jonah 2v8-9

In the midst of his trouble and despair Jonah came to a brilliant conclusion. At least it appears to be brilliant. Being where he was he had no hope. There are very few more hopeless places than in a whale’s belly in the bottom of the sea.

I wonder about Jonah. When we read the whole book he doesn’t seem like the best guy to be a prophet. He ran from God, ruined his testimony, only preached when we go swallowed by a whale, and got angry when people go saved.

But now, in the middle of a crisis he seems to act in desperation when he said ‘Salvation is of the Lord.’

It looks to me like this was a pragmatic decision on Jonah’s part. If I am wrong I guess I can apologise to Jonah when I get to heaven.

Be that as it may, the message itself is true. Salvation is only of God. Man can do nothing. Those who sacrifice to false gods forsake mercy and determine their own fate.

I guess there are two things here. First, I am grateful that God uses even the weakest vessels like Jonah (and me I might add). Second, the messenger is secondary to the message – salvation is truly and only from the Lord. 

No comments: