Saturday 25 February 2012

A lowly sheepherder




Then Amos answered, and said to Amaziah: “I was no prophet,Nor was I a son of a prophet, But I was a sheepbreeder And a tender of sycamorefruit. Then the LORD took me as I followed the flock, And the LORD said to me,‘Go, prophesy to My people Israel.’ – Amos 7v14-15

I am so encouraged to read about the kind of people God uses. Amos is one of the prime examples.

A few times in scripture we come across people who don’t feel qualified. I think of Moses and Jeremiah for just a couple. Both of them tried to argue their ways out of it and needed to be convinced by God.

We don’t see that with Amos. He was out tending his sheep and his crops when God took him while he was moving the sheep. God came alongside and said, ‘go prophesy…’ The next verse says ‘and so here I am to prophesy.’

I like that picture of obedience. I also like the fact that God doesn’t have to use the rich and powerful and famous. Paul tells us that God normally uses the weak and foolish and abased to do His work.

In other words God uses people like us – shepherds and sycamore tenders, cooks and craftsmen, teachers and taxi drivers, bankers and bakers.

Praise God that He chooses to use people like you and me to do His work. 

No comments: