Thursday 4 August 2011

Teach me


Teach me to do Your will, For You are my God; Your Spirit is good. Lead me in the land of uprightness. - Psalm 143v10

There are times in our lives when we all really need some teaching. Something comes across our path that, even if we knew it might have been true is finally confirmed. It leaves us now knowing how to handle the situation, what to do next, or what God’s will is. We want to do the right thing, but are not sure what it is.

It is for times such as this that we have this wonderful little phrase from Psalm 143v10. We can pray with the psalmist, ‘Teach me what Your will is. You are my God. Your Spirit is good. Lead me to do the right thing.’ 

If I could learn to pray that prayer instead of worrying and fretting I would be much better off. If I could quit trying to act so quickly and sit back and let the Holy Spirit teach me I would not make so many mistakes. Jesus tells us later on that the Holy Spirit is the one who guides us into all truth. He is the One who will give us the instruction we need. He is good, and He knows what is best. 

In times of confusion and turmoil and not understanding it is time to go back to the classroom and let the Teacher teach.

No comments: