Monday 29 August 2011

Lessons from the ant


Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. – Proverbs 6v6-8

I would not consider myself a lazy person generally. However, I have to admit that I struggle with, shall we say, motivation, during the month of August. Ministries are cut back, church activities are barebones, and there just is not a whole lot going on.

I find that I get very little done when I am not busy. This can be especially difficult when there is no clock to punch and I have no ‘captain, overseer, or ruler’ to check up on me. I can get done with a day as wonder ‘Wow, what did I do today?’

There is nothing wrong with periods of rest and relaxation. In fact, I think a Biblical argument can be made for the importance of it. But when that pattern becomes our practice we are in trouble.

God knows that this can be a human trait so he uses an illustration that we are all aware of to teach us an important object lesson.

‘Look at the ant, you lazy lout. Think about her and learn a lesson. She has no one to supervise her, but she prepares for the future by working all summer and gathering food for the winter.’

When I think about that I am challenged. That little ant knows enough by instinct to get the job done, yet will all of my knowledge I often cannot get motivated to the do the same. If the ants did not prepare for winter they would starve. When we don’t do the work we need to do we find out ‘A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest, and poverty will come upon you like a robber, and want like an armed man.’
I need that reminder. The summer break is over. Ministries are starting back up. It is time to get up off my backside and get back to work.

Thanks for the reminder Mr (or is it Miss?) Ant.  

No comments: