Tuesday 5 July 2011

Settled

Forever, O LORD, Your word is settled in heaven Your faithfulness endures to all generations; You established the earth, and it abides.  – Psalm 119v89-90

Sweet settledness. Even seeing those words typed out make me ‘feel good.’ The problem with this sweet settledness is that it is so elusive. There is little, if anything, that we can really count on in the world system.
It is interesting to notice how things change.

All sorts of fads and notions in almost every area of life come and go. Coffee is bad for you. Coffee is good for you. Put your baby on its back. Put your baby on its stomach. Lay your baby on its side. Going barefoot helps your back. Going barefoot helps your back. You know what I mean.

I have seen the same thing in Christianity, even in the conservative evangelical circles. We too have our fads and ideas. Somebody writes a book. It seems to have all the answers and everyone jumps on the bandwagon. Then time goes by until the next great answer comes along.

I don’t have any problem with Christian books. I have a library full and often find them very helpful. Praise God for godly people who are willing to share their knowledge and experience with me.

However, there are times when we need a source of perfect trustworthy sweet settledness. Sometimes I need a rock to hold on to. Sometimes I need a place to anchor my hopes and dream.

We have that in the word of God. His word is forever settled in heaven. His faithfulness just keep on enduring. He established the earth and it still abides.

Only a few things don’t change. We can find the sweet settledness in God’s forever settled word. 

No comments: