Sunday 3 July 2011

I will have an answer

So shall I have an answer for him who reproaches me, For I trust in Your word. - Psalm 119v42

I like to have the answer. That’s my nature. If I don’t have the answer I might just very well make it up and then argue that it is right even if I don’t know for sure that it is right. I have a lot of fun doing that. However sometimes it can get me into serious trouble. I guess others can find it kind of frustrating and aggravating.
That is okay when we are just having fun or discussing politics, history, the weather, or any number of trivial trivialities. Well, it might be okay. Some folks have been just about ready to give me a well-deserved smack.

In reality and in serious situations that kind of response doesn’t work. As awful lot of folks totally reject any concept of God today. It is not unusual to have our beliefs scorned and mocked. The world has all kinds of ‘anti-God’ ideas and questions and trite sayings that they think are going to stump and confuse God’s people.
It would be easy if some of these questions were not in reality good questions. There are going to be times 
when we really don’t have a good answer.

There is a reason for that. We are not going to understand everything. God’s thoughts and His ways are often 
beyond our ken because He is all knowing and our knowledge is limited and flawed.

So how do we answer the questions? There are times when it comes down to something as simple as ‘I don’t 
understand it all, but I do know that I trust God to sort it all out at the end of the day.’

Does that always satisfy the reproacher? No, of course not. Nothing will ever satisfy the sceptic. It may however impact the seeker. There will be some who are looking for something to trust in this unstable world. For them the answer may set them on their journey to come to trust God themselves. 

No comments: