Wednesday 15 June 2011

Sweet meditation

May my meditation be sweet to Him; I will be glad in the LORD. - Psalm 104v34

These words just sort of caught my eye. I like the sound of these 'sweet meditations' and those sweet meditations would let me 'be glad in the Lord.'

I also find this convicting. I think about those times of sweet meditations, when my contemplations about God and what He has done are so pleasant to be almost overwhelming. But then I think of all those hours spent is rotten meditation. I am amazed at where my mind can go when it is not trained and focused on my Saviour. Instead of sweet meditations and pleasant contemplations sometimes I have the ugliest of mediations and fleshly horrible contemplations.

Why is that? Why is it that when I KNOW that my sweetest and most pleasant meditations are on the Lord do I wander off into all that other junk? Why do I do that when I always feel miserable afterwards and I always feel miserable after my fleshly meditations.

Of course we know the answer – we still have to live in the flesh. That is why the psalmist prayed that his meditations would be sweet to God. When we are tempted to meditate on the filth of this present world may we ask God for His help to meditate on those sweet and precious thoughts of Him and His wonderful works.

May I have sweet meditations on my Lord throughout today. 

No comments: