Tuesday 28 June 2011

My ways

Oh, that my ways were directed to keep Your statutes! – Psalm 119v5

I love gadgets. One of my favourite and most practical gadgets is a satnav or GPS device for the car. We finally bought one last autumn when Beth had Kian. It was amazing. We collected the car at the airport, hooked up the satnav, typed in Beth and Ronnie’s address, and followed it through the dark German night on unfamiliar roads. After about an hour we pulled into the drive as we heard the words ‘arriving at bethronnie on right.’ A couple of weeks ago I even drove into Dublin City Centre following the directions. One of the amazing features is that if you get off track or can’t follow the prescribed road you can hit ‘detour’ and it will direct you back to the right path.

There are times in our lives when we could all use a spiritual satnav. We go into an unfamiliar situation and don’t know where to turn next. We get off track and we need to get back on course. Sometimes we might even get lost.

We are blessed to already have that satnav. We have the word of God and we have the indwelling Holy Spirit to guide us on our way.

While the satnav is not perfect, I have found myself a couple of times taking matters in my own hand and wishing I hadn’t. When you miss a turn the device keeps telling you how to get on track. You have to ignore it to go on your own way.

God’s word, along with the Holy Spirit, does the same thing for us. The difference is that His word is never wrong, it never gives a less than perfect option. God’s satnav system is perfect. All we have to do is follow it. 

No comments: