Sunday 13 February 2011

Tired of hurting

I am weary with my groaning; All night I make my bed swim; I drench my couch with my tears. My eye wastes away because of grief; It grows old because of all my enemies. Depart from me, all you workers of iniquity; For the LORD has heard the voice of my weeping. The LORD has heard my supplication; The LORD will receive my prayer. – Psalm 6v6-9

This passage does not take a whole lot of explanation. Anyone reading this who is in the situation understands immediately.

I am tired of hurting. I am drowning. My bed is soaked with my tears. My eyes are worn out from crying.

David was a man in great pain and in great fear. He was at the point of absolute despair. He was tired of hurting.

Anyone who has been there, or is there no understands this. We get to the point where we are just cried out. We have nothing left. It seems like we cannot go on.

And yet, from somewhere deep inside the psalmist digs up more faith and trust. ‘The Lord has heard my voice of my weeping. He has heard my supplication. He will receive my prayer.’

The psalmist’s fears may have been mostly caused by physical enemies, but that does not make our enemies of illness, pain, distress, anxiety, discouragement, depression, financial owes, or anything else any less real.

We have the same hope when we are tired of hurting. When can dig down deep and trust the One who hears our prayers as well.

No comments: