Friday 25 February 2011

I have a good inheritance

O LORD, You are the portion of my inheritance and my cup; You maintain my lot. The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Yes, I have a good inheritance. – Psalm 16v5-6

Psalm 16 is certainly a song of faith. Many Bible students consider this psalm a particular gem, some calling it ‘The Golden Psalm.’ It can be read from the perspective of David himself, of Jesus Christ, and of the saints.

I am going to approach it from this last perspective, its application to us. I hate to skip the first couple of verses because they are so packed with faith, but I don’t want to be too repetitive in these thoughts.

When we pick up in verse five we find some wonderful words of comfort reminding us that the Lord is our portion of the eternal inheritance. He is our daily cup of provision. He is our maintainer. Our borders contain pleasant places. We have a good heritage or inheritance laid up for us.

The general thought here is that our earthly place has very little real meaning. What counts is that no matter what our physical lot in life we have so much more.

Every possession or lot that we have in this life are going to fade away. Nothing here, no matter how shiny or tempting or appealing, is going to last forever. It will all one day pass away.

But Christ is our inheritance. The blessing is that we can begin enjoying the blessings of that inheritance here and now.

While the world may have this or that here and now we can rest with the assurance that God has left us a good heritage. He is our potion. He is our lot in life.

What more could we really want?

No comments: