Wednesday 2 February 2011

Blessed living

Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, Nor stands in the path of sinners, Nor sits in the seat of the scornful; – Psalm 1v1

Like everyone else who knows the Bible, and many who don’t, I love the Psalms. One could spend several lifetimes there and still not run the fountain dry.

I realise that the ordering to the Psalms is man-made. I know there is nothing special about our Psalm 1 being the first Psalm, but I certainly like the way it sets the tone for the rest of the book.

God defines right away the contrast between the godly and the ungodly. Who is the blessed man? It is the man who does not walk according the world’s counsel and advice. He doesn’t take and stand with the sinners. He doesn’t sit down with the scorners.

I think we can summarise it this way – the blessed man is the one who does not find his home or his comfort zone with the world. He always feels slightly out of place. Therefore the godly man chooses his walk, his stand, and his seat carefully.

How am I going to walk today? Where will I take my stand? With whom will I sit? Will I reflect the blessed man?

No comments: