Wednesday 12 January 2011

Holding on to righteousness


My righteousness I hold fast, and will not let it go; My heart shall not reproach me as long as I live. – Job 27v6

I know that when I am going through tough times I can often struggle with my spiritual life. This can happen when I am physically or emotionally weak. I find at those times that if I am not careful my physical or emotional strength can greatly affect my spiritual well-being.

Job’s friends were trying to help him figure out what was wrong. They implied that part of the reason might be that he was slipping up in his walk with the Lord. They thought that these kinds of things would not be happening unless Job was doing something wrong.

But Job had already examined his life. ‘My lips will not speak unrighteousness. I will not forsake my integrity. I will cling on to my righteousness.’

It appears that Job had already determined that no matter what happened or God allowed to come across his path he would not be dissuaded from serving God. He would not sacrifice his righteousness. He would not turn.

I think we all need that kind of determination before the tough times come. When I am emotionally or physically weary I can take the attitude of ‘what difference does it make?’ At those times I can find myself in spiritual weakness and I can get wander from my fellowship with the Lord. It is at those times that I can give into the flesh and forget about walking after the spirit.

‘My righteousness I WILL hold fast. I will not let it go!’

Oh for that kind of determination in challenging times!

No comments: