Sunday 9 January 2011

As gold


But He knows the way that I take; When He has tested me, I shall come forth as gold. – Job 23v10

Many years ago Mary and I were with a good friend who lived in the Birmingham, Alabama area. Birmingham is a major steel refining city and that night we saw the process close up. Our friend was supposed to know the area and get us back to her mother’s house after a seminar. After a series of ‘turn left here’ and ‘turn right here’ and go straight here’ we found ourselves temporarily dislocated in the metal of the refining district. Through the massive gaping doors we could see the molten steel being poured from vat to vat as a part of the refining process that would eliminate all the impurities so that the finished process would finally produce steel. This purified and processed steel would be the strength that would support bridges and skyscrapers and all sorts of long lasting buildings.

Though Job knew nothing about steel processing he did know about gold. He knew that for gold to be worth something it had to have all the impurities removed. All of the other metals and rocks and stones and dross had to be processed out of the gold to make it pure. That purification process requires the gold to be heated up until it became liquid and the dross could be scrapped off the top. Chances are, with all of his wealth, Job knew well what it was like to process gold.

Job also knew a spiritual lesson. He knew that for us to be purified and fit for the Master’s use we have to have all of dross burned of. Jesus talks about the ‘wood, hay, and stubble’ that we put our confidence in far too often. It is obvious that for us to be effective servants we can;t carry all of that rubbish with us.

Job had a confidence that is of great comfort and conviction to me. ‘When I have been tried and purified,’ Job said, ‘I will come forth like gold.’

Ron Hamilton keyed into this truth after suddenly having an eye removed due to cancer. He wrote a beautiful song called ‘Rejoice in the Lord.’ The lyrics below really say it all.

God never moves without purpose or plan
When trying His servant and molding a man.
Give thanks to the LORD though your testing seems long;
In darkness He giveth a song.

I could not see through the shadows ahead;
So I looked at the cross of my Saviour instead.
I bowed to the will of the Master that day;
Then peace came and tears fled away.

Now I can see testing comes from above;
God strengthens His children and purges in love.
My Father knows best, and I trust in His care;
Through purging more fruit I will bear.

O Rejoice in the LORD
He makes no mistake,
He knoweth the end of each path that I take,
For when I am tried
And purified,
I shall come forth as gold.

No comments: