Wednesday 11 August 2010

Where God guides…

Arise, go to Zarephath, which belongs to Sidon, and dwell there. See, I have commanded a widow there to provide for you." – 1 Kings 17v9

I remember about this time of year back in 1976. I had just transferred to Tennesses Temple College and was sitting in the old Philips Chapel on the corner of Bailey and Union in Chattanooga, TN. I had no money and only a small on campus job that paid a fraction of my bill. I had just been to the business office and didn’t have a clue how I was going to pay for my next school bill, much less the first semester or first year.

Dr Roberson was speaking at a new student orientation meeting. I don’t remember a lot of the talk. It was all about policies and expectations and things like that; just a typical orientation.

Toward the end though he said something that made me sit up and take notice. ‘Some of you are sitting here wondering how you are going to make it financially. You are worried about how you are going to pay your school bill.’ I thought, ‘well, that’s me!’ He then went on the say something that I had not heard before, but which has stuck in my head every since – ‘where God guides He provides.’

After 34 years that saying can sound simple and trite. While that may be the case, the truth of that statement is just as valid as it was when I was a 21 year old Bible college student. All these years later wherever God has guided He has indeed provided. We may never have had much, but we have always had enough, and usually a little more.

As Elijah moved to Zarephath he did do with God’s assurance that He would provide.

Where God guided Elijah he provided for him. Way back in 1976 God guided and provided. He is doing the same in 2010.

Where God guides He does provide.

No comments: