Saturday 21 August 2010

Feeling alone

So he said, "I have been very zealous for the LORD God of hosts; for the children of Israel have forsaken Your covenant, torn down Your altars, and killed Your prophets with the sword. I alone am left; and they seek to take my life." – 1 Kings 19v10

All alone. Anyone who is serious about serving God has been there, even in the midst of a crowd. Sometimes we juts cannot figure out what God is doing, we question Him, and we end up in what one kiddie song calls ‘Pity Party Pit.’

‘I have tried to serve God. I have done everything He asked me to do. I have been faithful. I have done my best. And now, I am all along. Everyone is opposing me. Why did I bother?’

I know I have been there. There have been times when I just cannot for the life of me figure out why things have not worked out. I remember asking one day – ‘What is the story here God?’

The truth is that just because Elijah felt all alone doesn’t mean he was. He made the common mistake of getting his eyes on the circumstances and not on his God. When we do that we get excited in good circumstances and down in the tough ones.

Elijah was not alone. His God was still there. Elijah’s problem is that He was looking and listening in the wrong place.

Feeling all alone? Look for Him and listen for Him. Don’t let your Pity Party Pit keep you away from His blessings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks


John d