Wednesday 18 August 2010

Heavy rain answers

Now it happened in the meantime that the sky became black with clouds and wind, and there was a heavy rain. So Ahab rode away and went to Jezreel. – 1 Kings 18v45

When God answered prayer He really answered prayer. From the time Elijah’s servant saw the fist sized cloud and the time he got to Ahab the sky became black with clouds and there was a heavy rain.

‘Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed earnestly that it would not rain; and it did not rain on the land for three years and six months. And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth produced its fruit.’

I don’t know why this caught my eye the way it did. I think what impresses me is the way God sent rain when He did. It wasn’t a light mist or a sprinkle. It wasn’t even a steady rain. Out of the blue came thick dark clouds and a heavy rain.

We were talking about answered prayer with some friends not too long ago. There are times of course when God does answer prayers with a whisper. There are times when He answers prayers and we don’t even really comprehend it till much later.

However, there are also many times when God answers prayer with a ‘heavy rain.’ I am grateful for those times. I realise that I should respond to every answered prayer the same way, but I am grateful that God knows my frailty and sometimes answers prayer that was so that I can be encouraged.

Praise God for answered prayer, but because of my own weakness praise His for ‘heavy rain’ answers.

No comments: