Thursday 10 December 2009

What am I going to do with these people?

So Moses cried out to the LORD, saying, "What shall I do with this people? They are almost ready to stone me!" – Exodus 17v4

Poor old Moses was frustrated. Every time he turned around the people were attacking him and criticising and complaining. They had left slavery. God had turned bitter waters sweet. God had provided meat and bread in the desert in a miraculous manner. And now, the first time they get low on water they complain again.

‘Why are you trying to kill us Moses?’ was their cry. Why would they even think that after all he had done?

People have short memories. All they could see was the here and now. They could not even remember back a few weeks. We look at them and because we are reading chapter after chapter it seems silly that they could possibly forget, and really, it is ridiculous. Who could possibly forget the blessings of God in the past while in a present crisis?

Well, that’s not my point today. My point is dealing with the challenges of leadership. Leadership is a great blessing and a great joy. But it can be fraught with trouble and trials. Because leaders deal with people they deal with problems and issues. Leadership can be frustrating. Sometimes leaders just want to quit.

But Moses did the right thing – he went to God. ‘What am I going to do with these people?’ was his cry. How did God respond?

‘Go back to them and let me meet their needs’ was God’s response. His love and patience amaze me. God is the perfect Leader and His leadership skills and patterns are a challenge to any one who leads. He just kept being patient with the people.

I would have been fed up with them by now. It is a good thing that I am not God. I have a lot to learn from God’s School of Leadership.

No comments: