Sunday 6 December 2009

I will exalt Him

The LORD is my strength and song, And He has become my salvation; He is my God, and I will praise Him; My father's God, and I will exalt Him. – Exodus 15v2

As I read this today I could hear Christie Galkin singing ‘Let Christ Be Lifted Up.’ The words of that song rang through my head as I contemplated Isreal’s song of praise on the crossing of the Red Sea. ‘The Lord is my strength and my song. He has become by salvation…I will praise Him…I will exalt Him.’

I thought about that in relation to my own life and experiences. We find it easy enough to exalt our nations, our families, our schools, our favourite brand product, or our favourite sports team. We proudly identify with those kinds of things. But what about exalting Christ?

I saw an interview on Youtube this morning. A young man who is a noted American footballer had just seen his team defeated in a very important game. In the face paint used to dim the reflection on his cheeks he had the reference for John 6v33. This player grew up as a missionary kid in the Philippines and is a great testimony for Christ. This guy is a great player, but in all he does he seeks to exalt Christ. That verse talks about how we are going to face trials in life, but Jesus has already overcome the world. What made it powerful was the life that he lives before the cameras and in the shadows.

We all have our chances to exalt Christ, but do we take them?

I wonder how many of us life our lives in a way that truly exalts Christ, that truly lift Him up for all the world to see?

Spurgeon put it this way – ‘And note this, we must have Christ lifted up, Christ crucified, without the trinkets and trivialities of knowledge, without the trappings of attempted eloquence or rhetoric. If Christ Jesus is seriously preached he will draw all men to himself.’

If we will truly exalt Him before men He will indeed draw men to Himself.

No comments: