Saturday 22 August 2009

When I heard and saw these things…I worshiped

Now I, John, saw and heard these things. And when I heard and saw, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel who showed me these things. Then he said to me, "See that you do not do that. For I am your fellow servant, and of your brethren the prophets, and of those who keep the words of this book. Worship God." – Revelation 22v8-9

I like this little section here. First, it is good to know that even guys like John don’t always get it right the first time. Second, despite that – he had the right heart even though we got it wrong.

Imagine being there in John’s sandals. He has just seen and heard all the prophecies of the book that we know call Revelation. He was overwhelmed and when he ‘saw and heard these things’ he ‘fell down to worship before the feet of the angel’ Some might be tempted to roundly criticise him for doing so – ‘Bless God John oughta know better! He must be getting senile! How sad to see the man of God acting like that!’ And, to be honest, the critics would have a point. John should have known better than to worship an angel. The angle corrected him and told him simply ‘Don’t do that. I am a fellow servant. Worship God.’ Still though, John had the right heart when he was exposed to God’s word – he knew that he should worship.

I think the lesson for us is clear. Our response to God’s word should always be one of worship. After all God allows us to see to His very heart when He allows us have His word. Anytime a person writes you see a part of that person. With God’s word we see all of Him.

Our daily time in His word should always be our time of day to worship Him for all that He tells and shows us.

No comments: