Tuesday 21 April 2009

The roaring lion

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world. - 1 Peter 5v8-9

I don’t like cats. I especially don’t like cats that are big, ferocious, wild animals. I really don’t like them being on the prowl, and hungry. I can’t imagine being in a place where wild lions are walking around stalking me looking for their dinner. I would be constantly on guard. I would not be distracted, I would be vigilant, and I would do all I could to resist him.

The truth is, though we may not see him, we do have a roaring lion stalking the earth looking to devour us. We don’t like to talk about him much in our enlightened age, but the devil is still there and still looking for his chance to attack us. We can get lulled into a false sense of security if we are not careful and then we let down our vigilance. Sometimes we get so complacent that we walk right into his den and take a little nap. When we do we open ourselves open to his vicious attacks. Sadly, some have been devoured by him and had their spiritual lives ruined.

We need to spend every waking moment on guard and vigilant against his attacks. We must arm ourselves with the powerful sword of God’s word. We must be always awake, always at the ready, always on guard, and always vigilant so that we are not devoured by his attacks.

No comments: