Thursday 9 April 2009

Not rendering evil for evil

Finally, all of you be of one mind, having compassion for one another; love as brothers, be tender-hearted, be courteous; not returning evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary blessing, knowing that you were called to this, that you may inherit a blessing. - 1 Peter 3v8-9

Sometimes I wonder where true Christian conduct has gone. As I watch how believers discuss and debate I am seeing a meanness and an ugliness that I find disconcerting. Discussions of issues seem to quickly degenerate into personal attacks and divisions.

What does God say about our conduct toward each other?

Be of one mind
Have compassion for each other
Love like brothers
Be tender-hearted
Be courteous

We are not always going to agree on all issues. That doesn’t mean we can’t talk about them. But when we do talk about them these are our guidelines. We must be like minded in our search for the truth and our desire to glorify God. We must remember to show compassion to each other. Our love as brethren must override our own agendas. There must be a tenderness that replaces meanness. And there must be common courteously.

What happens when the other guy doesn’t play fair? What happens when he gets vicious and mean in his attacks? What happens when he turns a courteous discussion into an evil attack? What happens when he rails against me personally?

Well, I can’t let him get away with that, can I? If he is going to start the fight then I am going to finish it, right? Wrong. Instead of responding with evil and railings of my own I am to respond with blessing. I am not responsible for my brother’s action, but I am responsible for my response.

Blessing replaces reviling. This is our calling, and we can be assured that our reward is God’s blessing.

No comments: