Thursday 2 April 2009

Free to serve

as free, yet not using liberty as a cloak for vice, but as bondservants of God. - 1 Peter 2v16

Praise God for our liberty in Christ! I am free from both sin and the law! What a relief to have those restrictions gone! Does that mean I can do whatever I want? Great!

Well, not quite. Though we have that liberty from sin and the law, it does not mean we can just do whatever we want. Peter clarifies this when we writes – ‘don’t use your liberty as a cloak or a cover for your vices and sin, use your liberty to serve God instead of sin and the law.

Liberty and bond service don’t seem like they go together, do they? How can one be a ‘free slave?’ I think the ‘voluntary servitude’ fills the bill. Because Christ has freed us we have the blessed chance now to serve Him? Why? Because there is no better master to be had. He is loving, just, compassionate, and caring. This Master cared so much for me that He gave His life for me. Why would I not want to serve Him instead of my old masters?

No comments: