Monday 27 April 2009

Our camping trip

For this reason I will not be negligent to remind you always of these things, though you know and are established in the present truth. Yes, I think it is right, as long as I am in this tent, to stir you up by reminding you, knowing that shortly I must put off my tent, just as our Lord Jesus Christ showed me. Moreover I will be careful to ensure that you always have a reminder of these things after my decease. - 2 Peter 1v12-15

I appreciate Peter’s attitude here. He knew his death was coming. He knew that shortly his must put off his tent, his earthly body, and yet he still knew there was work he had to do.

Two things stick out to me here. First, I love the picture of our body being a tent. It reminds us that this body is only transitory. He gets the focus off of our own creature comforts and on the fact this is all only a temporary. Tents are never meant to be permanent dwellings. The early church, as evidenced by both Peter and Paul, saw there bodies in that light. We are pilgrims, travellers, aliens, and transients pitching our tents for just a short time. In a sense we are on an earthly camping trip. We need to keep that in mind as we pass through our lives on earth.

Secondly, note Peter’s attitude. He wasn’t too concerned about packing up his tent. After all, packing up your tent means you are going home, headed to your bed and your comfortable couch and your nice hot shower! No, that didn’t concern Peter. What concerned him was the task of reminding those around him of the truths they would need after he was gone. Although none of us hold he special office of apostle, Peter’s attitude reminds that our lives are to expended for others, not ourselves. Instead of focusing on our own woes we need to make sure that we are looking for ways to be a blessing to others.

Don’t worry about the camping trip coming to a close, focus on being a blessing to your fellow campers.

No comments: