Friday 9 January 2009

Hold fast

Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful. – Hebrews 10v23

Stuff happens. It just does. We think we are moving forward and really getting our act together. We think things like, ‘Finally, something is going right.’ And then, blam, something else comes along to knock us off our stride.

This happens in our ministries and it happens in our own walk with the Lord. I wish I could count the numbers of times since we came to this country fourteen years ago that I have been ready to quit. This has been even more true since we moved out to Naas and been involved in planting a church. We think things are going well and moving on and then things start to go backwards.

The same thing happens in my own spiritual walk. I have months of progress and good fellowship with the Lord then something happens that sets me back again.

So what do we do? Quit? Give in? Roll over and die? Nope – God says that we are to hold fast to the confession of our hope without wavering. It’s that ‘without wavering’ that gets tough. We just keep on going and going and going and going. How though?

We have a pattern. “He who promised is faithful.’ No matter what Christ faced for me He stayed faithful. Through the trials and the mockery and the blows and the spit and the taunts and the scourging and the carrying the cross and the nails and the laboured breaths and the pain and the suffering and the death He stayed faithful.

When I look at it that way, how can I not hold fast? He never wavered though all of that. How can I waver at a few setbacks?

No comments: