Friday 16 January 2009

God is not ashamed

But now they desire a better, that is, a heavenly country. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them. – Hebrews 11v16

Have your children ever embarrassed you? We have six of them, and now three grandchildren. I have to admit that sometimes they have embarrassed us in public. I won’t relate any anecdotes here in case one of them reads this. But, at the end of the day, they are still our kids and we are not ashamed that they are ours. We are not ashamed to be their mom and dad.

That’s fine, but it is amazing when we read that a perfect, holy, righteous, just, and eternal God is not ashamed that His is our God. I am certain that we, especially me, have embarrassed our kids, so it is normal that there is a mutual feeling of not being ashamed. God is perfect, so there is not cause to be ashamed that He is my God. But it is astounding that He is not ashamed of me, even though I do stuff that would make any person embarrassed. That comes because His live is perfect and pure. He loves me in spite of who I am and He is not ashamed of me.

What is sad is that I am more likely to act like I am ashamed of Him. How often have you and I had a chance to speak boldly and proudly of our heavenly Father and missed the opportunity? Are we more ashamed of Him than He is of us?

No comments: