Sunday 30 March 2008

Grace, thanksgiving, the glory of God

For all things are for your sakes, that grace, having spread through the many, may cause thanksgiving to abound to the glory of God. – 2 Corinthians 4v15

The more I read of 2 Corinthians this time through and the more I get to know Paul the more I love him. I am seeing a man with the same battles, struggles, fears, and anxieties that I have. Plus he had something else – his life was constantly in danger. The mobs opposed him and the authorities were looking for an excuse to kill him.

I know that the Holy Spirit is the Divine Author of the scriptures, but He used men and their struggles and personalities to do so. In these first few chapters of 2nd Corinthians he seems to be speaking as much to himself as the Corinthians. So often when I preach the message is for me as much as much as anyone. These daily mediations are not meant to preach, but are often to record what God is doing in my own heart. Here Paul almost seems to be giving himself a half time pep talk. As he does so we can almost sense his confidence growing.

He tells the Corinthians and himself here – “Everything we are doing is for your sake, so that grace may spread to many, and that the result would be thanksgiving which will glorify God.” I really like the way Paul thinks – he lays it on in a logical fashion. “We are doing the right thing. It is worth it all, because at the end of the day God will be glorified.”

Let’s lay it on the line. Where is my focus? Is it on trials, discouragement, and fear? Or is it on grace, thanksgiving, and the glory of God?

No comments: