Tuesday 28 November 2006

I have done nothing without cause


“And they shall comfort you, when ye see their ways and their doings: and ye shall know that I have not done without cause all that I have done in it, saith the Lord GOD.” - Ezekiel 14v23

It was difficult for God’s people to understand that He still really cared or that He even really was still there. Judgement after judgement was being poured out on them. The enemies seemed to be prospering, it looked to them like perhaps God was just letting things take their course and He had forgotten all about them.

God never leaves His people comfortless. He here reminded them that although judgement was falling He would preserve a remnant and that they would know that “I have not done without cause all that I have done…”
One of the key things we must do in our relationship to God is to realise that He has a purpose for everything He does – there is a cause behind everything. Just like He was working is a way that the people could not see in Ezekiel’s time He is working today. There is a cause in all that He does, we may always see it or know it, but by faith we can rest that there is indeed a cause!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this. I was searching the web for, "I the Lord do nothing without reason," and this result was the only one that brought me to Ezekiel 14. Thanks! I was searching for it because I remembered it while sharing an explanation for a local hurricane with the editor of the local newspaper. I recalled other things and learned other things today, which was what prompted me to share this letter and thank you for your blog post here. Again, much obliged.

Anonymous said...

And it turns out that I am turning to that phrase today repeatedly. Today has been about being honest before God in my heart. This life journey lets me testify to the Truth, for example, how "man lives not on bread alone but on every word from the mouth of God."