Friday 11 January 2019

To Caesar

So Paul said, “I stand at Caesar's judgment seat, where I ought to be judged. To the Jews I have done no wrong, as you very well know. For if I am an offender, or have committed anything deserving of death, I do not object to dying; but if there is nothing in these things of which these men accuse me, no one can deliver me to them. I appeal to Caesar.”
Then Festus, when he had conferred with the council, answered, “You have appealed to Caesar? To Caesar you shall go!” – Acts 25.12

Paul was really compelled to go to Rome. He would do anything to get there. After a series of trials and interviews with Felix and Festus and Agrippa they could find nothing to convict him. The charges were still out there, but they had no proof, so they were all ready to let him go.

But Paul was a Roman citizen. He wanted to have his record completely cleared. He could have walked free, but he also had the right to appeal his case to Caesar.

And is he went to Caesar he could carry the gospel to Rome. Not long before this Paul had said ‘I must go to Rome’ and here was his chance. What amazes me is the depth of his desire to carry out God’s work. He could have stayed where he was, free to walk the streets and to travel and preach.

He had to go to Rome though. He had to open Europe to the gospel so instead of walking free he demanded to go to Rome for certain imprisonment and uncertain results in the long run.

I am not sure I would have the courage to do that. I think I might take the relatively safe and expedient option and maybe try to get to Rome later.

How willing are we to just follow God’s leadership and trust Him with the results.

No comments: