Thursday 27 December 2018

In whom we live and move and have our being

for in Him we live and move and have our being, as also some of your own poets have said, ‘For we are also His offspring.’ Therefore, since we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature is like gold or silver or stone, something shaped by art and man's devising. – Acts 17.28-29

Paul’s message on Marsh Hill was one for the ages. First he defined the ‘unknown god’ to the people. Then he explained who this unknown God was how He had revealed Himself through His creation in order to draw men to seek Him. Then he goes on to explain the relevance of this God to today.

In Him, this unknown God, we live and move and have our being.

God not only made us, but He is still in control today. It is in Him, and only in Him, that we have our being. He live because of Him. We move because of Him. We have our very being because of Him.

All we have or ever hope to be is because of Jesus. The Bilbe tells us that it is Christ in me that is my hope of glory. The Bible says that it is no longer I who lives but it Christ that lives in me.

But it goes make even before that. The whole world lives and moves and has its being in Christ. He is the one who holds the whole world together. I am not much of a scientist but I have read that there is no scientific explanation for why atoms hold together and that science have been searching for the glue that holds it all in place. (If I am wrong please let me know so I can avoid embarrassing myself in the future). This verse seems to say that Jesus, the creator and sustainer, is the glue that holds it all together. Either way, Jesus is the sustainer that keeps us going. He is why my lungs keep working and heart keeps beating and blood keeps flowing.

The unknown God, we now know is Jesus , is worthy of our worship.

No comments: