Monday 10 December 2018

Full of joy and the Holy Spirit

And the word of the Lord was being spread throughout all the region. But the Jews stirred up the devout and prominent women and the chief men of the city, raised up persecution against Paul and Barnabas, and expelled them from their region. But they shook off the dust from their feet against them, and came to Iconium. And the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit. – Acts 13.49-52

God word was spreading, but everywhere they went there was also persecution and opposition. The religious leaders expelled them for the area where they were preaching. It certainly did not look like things were going well for them. It would seem that there would be discouragement and despair.

Instead of despairing Paul and Barnabas left those areas behind, moved on, and continued to be filled with joy and the Holy Spirit.

Look at that. Instead of being discouraged, despaired, depressed, and defeated the disciples were filled with joy and the Holy Spirit.

I really wish I could do that when I face apparent failure. I wish I could do that when I face fearful situations. I wish I could do that when new trials come. I should be able. I know what James writes when he says ‘count it all joy’ when you face all sort of trials, but the doing is so much tougher. Sure, I continue on and try to stay faithful and do right, but this joyfulness is something I struggle with.

When we do that I think there is a connection to the rest of the verse. The disciples were not only full of joy, but also the Holy Spirit. When we are full of the Holy Spirit we manifest His fruit; love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, and self-control. Look, near the top of the list is the word joy. If I am truly filled with the Spirit joy will be the result.

I know all this, so why do I continue to battle? Why can’t I walk that consistant persistent joyful life of faith?

No comments: